Re: The secret of hand compiling LISP/Scheme

From: gnuist006
Subject: Re: The secret of hand compiling LISP/Scheme
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 20:41:11 -0000

On Oct 8, 3:59 am, Tony Garnock-Jones
<you.can.find.me.thro...@google.easily> wrote:
> gnuist...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I prefer detailed treatment of this subject that is actually useful.
>
> I suspect you'll enjoyhttp://www.annexia.org/forth, which is an
> extremely well written step-by-step essay, at the end of which you have
> produced, in assembly language, from scratch, a running FORTH system for
> i386/linux.
>
> Once you understand that, the steps required to retarget to a running
> Scheme system are few: the design of an object model for scheme objects;
> the design and implementation of a simple garbage collector; a few more
> primitives; and you're done.

Tony, thanks for the info. But why do I need to go to forth for
this? why cant someone show me how to hand compile the jmc.pdf
into an assembly code like L. Peter Deutsch, a 13-15 year old
kid wrote and PUBLISHED as the first author, making money from
the ARPA grant because his father worked in the area and he
had the connections to get the info from the place where it was
discovered. I suspect they thought that the kid is safer and
less competitive than some grown up to share the info.