Splitting 2 pages/page landscape postscript file into two single page po

From: vasan999
Subject: Splitting 2 pages/page landscape postscript file into two single page portrait pages
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:30:30 -0000

Hi, I am a newbie.

I have a book.ps file which has all the pages, having two facing pages
per portrait page like this:

+---------------+--------------+
|                 |               |
|                 |               |
+---------------+--------------+

I want to split the two pages. I dont want to scan the pages and then
make bulky images out of compact pdf file. The file was generated from
a dvi and latex that are no longer available. The
author has died. The ps was made to save the number of printed
pages in an era before pdf.

So there are two problems:
(1) split the ps into single pages
(2) split each page in the center to to two successive pages.
(3) then combine all the ps
(4) I would like the ps to be converted to pdf so that it is
searcheable, if possible.

Steps 1-2 are the most important.

Vasantha