Re: starting emacs remote doesn't load .emacs

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: starting emacs remote doesn't load .emacs
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:35:00 +1000

Stefan Horomnea <stefan@softexperience.ro> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Ok, I got it :)
>
> I logged as bob user and then su to root. Emacs wasn't looking for
> /root/.emacs but for /home/bob/.emacs
> i just linked: ln -s /root/.emacs /home/bob/.emacs

this is a bad slution on many levels.

1. Read the man page on su and look at the difference between su and su -
   If you want things to be relative to the root user environment, you need
   the -
2. It is a bad idea to run any program as root unless you absolutely have
   to. there are many reasons for this, mainly relating to security and not
   'shooting yourself in the foot'. If you think you have to run as root
   all the time, then there is something you have misunderstood. Let us
   know why you feel you need to run as root all the time and we can
   probably explain things so that you won't need to. There are rare
   occasions where it does make sense to run emacs as root, but these are
   rare and without meaning to sound rude, given your unawareness of how su
   and shell environments interact, I suspect you don't fall into one of
   those rare situations.
3. If you are running emacs 22, you iwll have tramp installed. tramp will
   allow you to easily edit files owned by root or execute commands as
   root. Use this rather than running emacs as root.

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au