Re: How to make a text searcheable pdf from latex/dvi/ps

From: Dan
Subject: Re: How to make a text searcheable pdf from latex/dvi/ps
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:06:12 -0700

On Oct 10, 3:33 pm, vasan...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I am a newbie.
>
> There are three cases depending on whether I have latex source, dvi or
> just postscript.
>
> I have observed that when pdf is made from the postscript, it is not
> searcheable.

Since there are hundreds of ways to make PDF from PS
(as well as many ways to produce the PS to begin with),
this statement cannot possibly be true as stated.

Assuming dvips makes the PS, one should try to ensure
the fonts used will pass easily to the PDF file. Scott
addressed this in his reply.

Assuming GhostScript makes the PDF (via a script ps2pdf,
perhaps) one needs to ensure that GS will pass font shapes
as text (rather than as, say, rendered bitmaps). This may
require a sufficiently recent GS. GS versions 7.x are still in
use today (amazingly) but versions 8.x do a better job of
producing PDF.

Other methods of converting PS to PDF may have their own
strictures.

> This must be a systematic phenomena and not an accident
> of nature.

It is an accident of the methods used and their configuration.
Like Scott, my versions of dvips and ps2pdf produce searchable
PS, at least with most text.

Dan