RE: fit-frame every time i open a file

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: fit-frame every time i open a file
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:45:50 -0700

> I've been getting tired of manually calling fit-frame
> everytime I open a file with long lines (I have a wide-screen iMac so soft
> wrapping doesn't make much sense), and I would like to know if there's any
> easy way to tell emacs to call fit-frame everytime it opens a file.
>
> I tried to hook fit-frame to some of the hooks (specifically,
> after-make-frame) but it didn't seem to do much (at least in Aquamacs).
> Since I've noticed that Aquamacs sets the mark after each file opening, I
> tried to hook fit-frame to activate-mark-hook and that did the
> trick, except -- you guessed it -- my window is all over the screen
> everytime I select anything.
>
> Does anyone know what the correct hook would be to make fit-frame run each
> time I open a file? Or what's the correct way to do this?

Yes, see
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Shrink-Wrapping_Frames#AutoFitFrames.

You need libraries `fit-frame.el' and `autofit-frame.el' (which might be
included in Aquamacs), and you'll want to do this:

  (add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions 'fit-frame)

If you don't have the libraries, they are here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/fit-frame.el

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/autofit-frame.el

However, you say that you have already tried `after-make-frame-hook'. Try
again, with the above versions of the files. And perhaps someone who uses
Aquamacs can speak to the Aquamacs problems you encountered.