color depth on Windows

From: Maciej
Subject: color depth on Windows
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:39:57 -0000

Hello all,

It's been a while since I used Emacs, and seeing how a new release
(22) came out recently, I decided to take it for a spin.  I downloaded
the latest Windows binaries from an official mirror.  According to
Help > About,

This is GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2007-06-02 on RELEASE

The problem I'm having is that when I run "runemacs.exe", the Emacs
window comes up in "low color" mode. That is, the gnu image on the
starting screen is dithered black&white and the toolbar is also in
black&white (I guess it's using the "low-color" subdirectory icons),
although other color-related items, like color themes, work fine at
first glance.  I am running this on Windows XP SP2 and the video
driver is running at color depth of 32bits.  Everything else runs fine
on this system.

How can I get Emacs to come up in non-"low color" mode?