fringe and mouse in emacs 22.1

From: Allin Cottrell
Subject: fringe and mouse in emacs 22.1
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:51:04 -0400

I recently updated from emacs 21.4 to 22.1.  There's one change
I don't like and I'm wondering if I can revert it via ~/.emacs
somehow.

That is (a) I like having a non-zero fringe, but (b) I don't like
the way the mouse pointer behaves differently in the fringe in
22.1.

I'm mostly editing C source and TeX files, and I want to be able
to select lines of text with a mouse drag.  This was easy in 21.4,
but now I find I have to be very particular about the initial
pointer position to do this: too far to the left and I'm into
the fringe, where mouse-down-plus-motion does not initiate
drag-selection (the mouse just swipes uselessly); too far to the
right and I miss the first character(s) on the line.

So what I'd like to do is enforce the old behavior: in the
left fringe, mouse-down-plus-motion starts drag-selection.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics