Re: Printing fonts

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: Printing fonts
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:14:20 -0400

> Am 15.10.2007 um 20:43 schrieb Joel J. Adamson:
>
>> Is there a way to specify an arbitrary font (not just the set allowed
>> by ps-font-family) for ps-print-buffer or print-buffer?
>
> Have you tried to customise a bit? The Ps Print group contains the
> Font group, in which you can add more entries to the Ps Font Info
> Database. Then you can select from this new set.

I'll check that out; I presumed that the given choices were _it_ since
those would be all the printer would automatically have.

> This will have one problem: no non-built-in font will be downloaded
>to the PostScript printer. This might make it necessary to use an
>external utility to actually create the PS output.

That's the solution I've found; I created postscript fonts from my
..ttf fonts via ttf2afm and ttf2pt1 in a personal font directory, then
used them with GNU enscript (shell-command-on-region or
shell-command-on-buffer).  I used mkafmmap to create an afm map file,
then added that directory to my font path in .enscriptrc.  I figured
this out from the enscript FAQ.  This works just fine: I can still get
the Emacs "ps-print-buffer" style header, highlighting a la a2ps, and
the fonts I like.  This is simpler than redesigning prologues like the
a2ps info recommends.

I only discovered enscript after writing my initial message.

Thanks for responding,
Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983
and properly dispose of this information.