Re: some information to build a major-mode

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: some information to build a major-mode
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:58:37 +0200

"Sauro Cesaretti" <me@saurocesaretti.com> wrote:

> I'm a blind student and I need your help to set up a major mode in emacs to
> define a simple enviroment that permits
> to insert all the symbols that I defined to write mathematical expression.
> I understand a little how I can define a major mode but now I don't know
> if there is a function that permits me to insert a symbol in the buffer
> where I'm writing, by means of a shortcut.
> I have a table of symbols that I use and I'd like to define some
> shortcuts to insert them in a fast way.

It doesn't sound like you want a major mode.  What I'd suggest depends on
what you mean by shortcut:  text or a key-strokes?

If it's the first, look into abbrevs, for the second you can write your own
functions, which you can then bind to keys.  They could look like this.

(defun insert-foo ()
  (interactive)
  (insert "foo"))

regards,