Emacs bindings in other programs

From: YSK
Subject: Emacs bindings in other programs
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:33:33 -0000

I apologize in advance if this is deemed off-topic, but I will find
people in this newsgroup who share my interest: getting all other
programs in my Linux PC to work with Emacs keybindings (particularly
the navigation ones, C-e, C-a, C-n, C-p, C-k).

There is a wonderful Windows tool called XKeymacs that does this for
Windows apps, and I have been searching (in vain) for something like
that for Linux (or Xorg more generally).  Perhaps someone here will
have a xmodmap script to do this, or know some obscure tool/workaround
to make it possible. I am aware of the "gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs""
workaround for GTK based apps, but programs where I do lots of editing
(like my Java mail client and OpenOffice) do not obey that file.

I'd appreciate any pointers.
Thanks!