Re: tramp/ange-ftp: error in creation of dir's

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp/ange-ftp: error in creation of dir's
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:22:46 +0100

msteffen@ifi.uio.no writes:

>> Does it mean you are able to browse the directory "/Volume_1" in
>> dired? Strange.
>
> Yes. If I don't look at the *FTP command buffer* which
> runs the session, the dired seems to work as I
> would expect, including browsing the tree, visiting
> files and storing them back. Also ``renaming'' files seem
> to work.  But the "+"-key, bound to dired-create-directory,
> does not work (and that's where I started to look at the
> command buffer).

Since it works for me with the same configuration (GNU Emacs 22.1 /
Tramp 2.0.55), I believe this is related to either your FTP client or
server. But we'll see. Btw, which versions of FTP client and server
are involved?

> As another observation: changing the tramp-method from
> "ftp" to "smb" (samba), then the dired-create-directory
> works (only that I like to avoid that protocol, as
> I get problems with long file-names).

No surprise. Internally, a complete different machinery is working for
you. And which problems with long file names are you running into?

> Martin

Best regards, Michael.

PS: keeping h-g-e@gnu.org in Cc; other people might be interested in
the result.