Re: Emacs Environment Variables

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs Environment Variables
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 17:25:18 +1100

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladt@ono.com> writes:
>
>> Peter Dyballa escribe:
>>> IMO bash is a bit too complicated to be used as a user's default shell.
>>
>> Ubuntu people also thought this way.
>
> Huh?  I don't see that.  Ubuntu defaults to a different /bin/sh, but
> that is the _scripting_ default shell, not the user default shell.

On my debian system /bin/sh is just a symbolic link to /bin/bash. When you
invoke bash as sh, it reverts to 'traditional' sh behavior and disables
bash specific add-ons.

the 'real' sh executables I've seen are usually light-weight stripped down
shells suitable for rescue disks etc, where you probably want statically
linked small footprint stuff - but its still the basic sh shell that I
believe you will find on every GNU Linux and from my limited experience
Unix system.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au