Re: Opening file in UTF-8 mode automatically

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Opening file in UTF-8 mode automatically
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 23:12:36 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 25, 12:33 pm, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gm...@imap.cc> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 25 2007, spamfilteracco...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Nov 24, 7:38 pm, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gm...@imap.cc> wrote:
> >> `auto-coding-regexp-alist' in Emacs 22 already has an entry for the
> >> BOM: ("\\`\xEF\xBB\xBF" . utf-8).
>
> > Yep, it's there, I checked it, but it doesn't trigger opening the file
> > in utf-8 mode.
>
> Works for me:

If anyone can tell me what code should trigger utf-8 mode via auto-
coding-regexp-alist then I can debug the problem myself.

I'm quite knowledgeable in Emacs Lisp, so if it's in the lisp part
then I can surely debug it.

I took a cursory look into mule.el and I saw auto-coding-regexp-alist
is used there, but I haven't seen any apparent mechanism tying that
stuff to file opening (no find-file-hook or something).

Anyone can give me some pointers regarding this?