Re: code critique requested

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: code critique requested
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 12:29:53 +1100

jpw@pobox.com (John Paul Wallington) writes:

> metaperl.com wrote:
>
>> (defvar *asciidoc-indent-level*
>
> Sticking asterisks around special variable names is a Common Lisp
> affliction that isn't done in Emacs Lisp.

>From the emacs lisp reference ....

   * In some other systems there is a convention of choosing variable
     names that begin and end with `*'.  We don't use that convention
     in Emacs Lisp, so please don't use it in your programs.  (Emacs
     uses such names only for special-purpose buffers.)  The users will
     find Emacs more coherent if all libraries use the same conventions.

and

   * Since all global variables share the same name space, and all
     functions share another name space, you should choose a short word
     to distinguish your program from other Lisp programs(1).  Then
     take care to begin the names of all global variables, constants,
     and functions in your program with the chosen prefix.  This helps
     avoid name conflicts.

regards,

Tim
--