replace default tool-bar by home-grown tool-bar

From: matthias
Subject: replace default tool-bar by home-grown tool-bar
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:04:22 +0100

Hi there,

i am meditating over chapter 22.17 from the Emacs Lisp-manual for a while and couldn't really get a hint on how to have my own tool-bar. I understand how to define a keymap that describes the tool-bar but how do i tell emacs to use my keymap? Maybe it is too obvious, but i can't figure it out... I didn't find any hooks for the tool-bar. While they are used so frequently i wonder why there is none in this case. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have one that defines all the buttons in the tool-bar?
If you can point me to a very simple example that would be nice.

thanks in advance
matthias