Re: Beginner's Lisp Question

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Beginner's Lisp Question
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:24:26 -0800 (PST)

emacs lisp has a function to call a unix command line and receive its
output. For a example, see: the xGetDimention at

Elisp Lesson: Writing image-linkify Function
http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_image_tag.html

So, you can call your perl and gets its output. Then, it's easy to
extract word count from there. To extract, you'll need to:

1. create a temp buffer.

2. insert the output there. (so that you have a buffer to work with,
much more easier than processing a big string)

3. use search-forward-regex or get the word count, put it to a
variable.

4. kill the temp buffer.

5. Now you can print your count, or do more computation.

Heres a sample of opening a temp buffer

; a elisp idiom for processing a file without user interaction
(save-current-buffer
  (set-buffer (get-buffer-create " myTemp"))
  (insert-file-contents filePath nil nil nil t)
  ; process it ...
)

detail:
Elisp Lesson: Process A Thousand Files
http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_link_report.html

「Third, I would be nice if I could define a alias for the "Count
Words" command. I.e. "Wordcount" and "Count Words" would run the same
script.」

emacs's symbols normally don't spaces. You might try with "\ " or
quote the whole thing. Possibly there's a workaround so you can have
command names with spaces, but best just not to do it.

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
\xAD\xF4 http://xahlee.org/