Re: Starting emacs in ediff mode.

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Starting emacs in ediff mode.
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:08:09 +0100

DaLoverhino <DaLoveRhino@hotmail.com> writes:

> On Jan 25, 11:48 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
>> > Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:55:20 +0100
>> > From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borg...@gmail.com>
>> > CC: help-gnu-em...@gnu.org
>>
>> > - File names given need not be absolute.
>> > - You can not give use \ in the file names.
>> > - Be nice, do not put env variables in the users environment
>>
>> Which of these problems are relevant to the simple invocation of Emacs
>> that I suggested:

>> As for this one:
>>
>> > - Emacs client is used.
>>
>> I don't see how is this relevant to the OP's question: if they already
>> have Emacs running, they could simply invoke Ediff from within that
>> Emacs session.  And if Emacs is not running, what's the advantage of
>> using emacsclient?
>
> You guys are too smart for me.  I can't follow your arguments.  :)
>
> But if this helps, the reason why I wanted to know how to start emacs
> in ediff mode is so that I can use it with svn (revision source
> control.)  svn's diff program isn't very good.  However, svn allows
> you to fire up your own diff program to do the diffs.
>
> svn has a graphical version which I hear is more user friendly.
> However, making a long story short, I can't effectively control what
> software gets installed on my devbox.  So that's why I was hoping to
> use emacs for my diff program.
Do you use psvn.el ? with it when you are in  svn-status, you just have
to hit E to ediff your file with the last commited version.
If you prefix your command with C-u you can ediff with the version of the file
you want.
psvn.el is installed with subversion you just have to require it.
Have a look in your site-emacs/subversion.
--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu