Re: TAB key to insert tab character

From: Will Parsons
Subject: Re: TAB key to insert tab character
Date: 10 Feb 2008 01:18:41 GMT

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Will Parsons <oudeis@nodomain.invalid>
>> Date: 9 Feb 2008 17:58:58 GMT
>>
>> You could do what I do - bind Ctrl-Tab to insert an ASCII <tab>:
>>
>>   (global-set-key [C-tab] (lambda () (interactive) (insert-char 9 1)))
>
> I think it's better to bind TAB to self-insert-command:
>
>   (global-set-key "\C-i" 'self-insert-command)

I think you misunderstand - I'm perfectly happy to have <tab> do its
usual default action, but I also want to have the ability to insert a
<tab> character often enough to want something more convenient than
C-q TAB, and for this I use [C-tab].  Whether this is acceptable to the
OP is another matter, but since he rejected C-q Tab as too inconvenient,
I thought it worth his consideration.

- Will