Re: Anything.el for Windows

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Anything.el for Windows
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:33:31 +0100

Hi Tassilo,

Sorry to disturb you again...

>> I've git'ted your file as well, but my problem still stays!?
>
> Ok.
>
>> FYI, here's my `anything-sources' with the latest "sources" file:
>>
>> Value:

[...]

>>  ((name . "Info Pages")
>>   (candidates lambda nil
>>               (if anything-c-info-pages anything-c-info-pages
>>                 (setq anything-c-info-pages
>>                       (save-window-excursion
>>                         (save-excursion
>>                           (require 'info)
>>                           (Info-find-node "dir" "top")
>>                           (goto-char
>>                            (point-min))
>>                           (let
>>                               ((info-topic-regexp "\\* +\\([^:]+:
>> ([^)]+)[^.]*\\)\\.")
>>                                topics)
>>                             (while
>>                                 (re-search-forward info-topic-regexp nil t)
>>                               (add-to-list 'topics
>>                                            (match-string-no-properties 1)))
>>                             (goto-char
>>                              (point-min))
>>                             (Info-exit)
>>                             topics))))))
>>   (action
>>    ("Show with Info" lambda
>>     (node-str)
>>     (info
>>      (replace-regexp-in-string "^[^:]+: " "" node-str))))
>>   (requires-pattern . 2)))
>>
>> The problem seems to stay, even with the updated versions of
>> both `anything.el' and `anything-sources.el'.
>
> Indeed, it's the same error...

OK.

>> Can you help me?
>
> Are those the only settings that you have?

Yes, no trace of "anything" somewhere else in my `.emacs'.

> ;; open anything
> (GNUEmacs
>     (when (require 'anything-config)  ; loads `anything.el' too
>
>         ;; source of candidates for anything
>         (setq anything-sources
>               (list anything-c-source-locate
>                     anything-c-source-tracker-search
>                     anything-c-source-bookmarks          ;; 1
>                     anything-c-source-file-name-history  ;; 2
>                     anything-c-source-buffers            ;; 3
>                     anything-c-source-man-pages          ;; 4
>                     anything-c-source-info-pages         ;; 5
>                     ))
>
>         ;; do not show more candidates than this limit from inidividual
> sources
>         (setq anything-candidate-number-limit 10)
>
>         ;; make anything minibuffer better input latency
>         (defadvice anything-check-minibuffer-input (around sit-for activate)
>           (if (sit-for anything-idle-delay t)
>               ad-do-it))
>
>         ;; select anything
>         (global-set-key [(f3)] 'anything)))
>
> What is `GNUEmacs'?

It's a macro to handle snippets of code that only work with GNU
Emacs or with XEmacs:

(defmacro GNUEmacs (&rest body)
  "Execute any number of forms if running under GNU Emacs."
  (list 'if (not running-xemacs) (cons 'progn body)))

(defmacro XEmacs (&rest body)
  "Execute any number of forms if running under XEmacs."
  (list 'if running-xemacs (cons 'progn body)))

I surrounded the "anything" code with GNUEmacs because my first
(very quick) trials showed me problems running `anything' under
XEmacs.

> Anyway, to me it looks all right.  I suspect you have a broken
> anything-c-source-info-pages lying around somewhere.  Because this is
> defvar'ed the broken value won't be overwritten when requiring
> anything-config.

Oops, I don't imagine I could have done that ;-)

> What does `C-h v anything-c-source-info-pages' say?

anything-c-source-info-pages is a variable defined in `anything-config.el'.
Its value is shown below.

Documentation:
Not documented as a variable.

[...]

Hope it helps.