Password prompt writing new file on NFS filesystem

From: Ron Mitchell
Subject: Password prompt writing new file on NFS filesystem
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:00:40 -0800 (PST)

I'm writing a new file in an NFS-mounted filesystem.  When I write the file
for the first time I'm prompted for my password on the box from which the
filesystem is exported.  Why? and how can I fix this?  When I supply the
password the file is written OK, but this is irritating.

Emacs version is "GNU Emacs 22.1.2 (hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11) of 2007-07-06 on
tntcg004"

Thanks for any assistance.

Ron