Re: emacs could not show this symbol.

From: anhnmncb
Subject: Re: emacs could not show this symbol.
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:25:11 +0800

> I admit that I am not the font or fontset expert, I would have used
> here a gb2312.1980-0 encoded for the chinese-gb2312 encoding, a
> gb18030.2000-0 encoding for the gb18030 encoding, and a tis620-2
> encoded font for the thai-tis620 encoding. For mule-unicode-0100-24ff
> encoding I would use a font that has more to offer than Monotype
> Courier, Lucida Sans Typewriter or DejaVu Sans Mono or Free Mono.
> Well, anyway, I should improve my own settings, too, and learn from
> this a bit.
Vista courier has a symbol even dejavu doesn't contain :``ˏ'' , could
you see it? ;p

>>   (set-fontset-font "fontset-default"
>>                  'thai "-misc-fixed-medium-r-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-1")
>> (set-default-font "fontset-dejavu")
>> (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "fontset-dejavu"))
>
> You were constructing a "fontset-default" and then you're setting a
> "fontset-dejavu" to be used as default? I admit, documentation
> (particularly examples) of fontsets can be improved.

I think this setting is meant that when the fontset-dejavu donesn't have
a suitable font to show the character, then emacs will use fontset-default
instead, don't know if I correct, but I find that this setting works
well for me.

>> And many times emacs could not align a line correctly,
>
> Because you are using monospaced and proportionally spaced fonts in
> your fontsets:
>
>       *-*-p-*-iso10646-1
>       *-*-m-*-iso10646-1
I changed dejavu sans mono to dejavu sans, and m to p, did not work.
--
Regards,

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344