Re: SMTP library problem

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: SMTP library problem
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:11:48 +0100

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 13:09:36 -0500 "James Long" <longster@gmail.com> wrote:

>                                           I couldn't find where to
> subscribe to this mailing list so you may have to include my address
> in the reply.

You can also read and write to this list via Gmane, either as a
newsgroup or with a web browser; go to gmane.org for details.

> I'm using the standard SMTP library that comes with Emacs (I am using
> Carbon Emacs 22.1).  The connection requires SSL and password
> authentication.  Whenever I try to send a message, Emacs simply
> freezes up.  Here are my connection settings; I have tried both
> gnutls-cli and starttls (using the variable which toggles which one to
> use, I forget the name of it).
>
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "~server~")
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service ~port~)
> (setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("~server~" ~port~ "~user~" "~pass~")))
> (setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
> (setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)
>
> I'm sure my credentials, server, and port are correct, and that the
> server is fine.  I don't get anything in the SMTP trace buffer.  I
> suppose I should figure out how to use edebug, which I will attempt
> later on.
>
> Could one of my libraries be out of date?  gnutls-cli (I have version
> 2.3.1), or smtpmail.el, or something else?

I have a similar or perhaps the same problem.  I use the same type of
settings as you do.  How long did you wait after Emacs "froze up".  In
my case, it "unfreezes" after 20 minutes and the SMTP trace buffer shows
this:

Process SMTP finished
454 TLS connection failed: timed out (#4.3.0)
- Peer has closed the GNUTLS connection
QUIT

This is reproducible.  I can access the same SMTP server using KMail, so
I assume, like you, that my problem is somewhere in smtpmail.el or
gnutls-cli (I don't have starttls), perhaps a wrong setting.  It would
be nice if someone can solve this one; I haven't been able to.

Steve Berman