Re: Viewing PDFs as text?

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: Viewing PDFs as text?
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:48:31 +0100

On Wed Mar 19 2008 Tassilo Horn wrote:
> That could be done, but I don't think it would be a good idea,
> because it opens a new buffer that has nothing to do with doc-view
> and that could confuse users.

Well, many emacs options can potentially confuse users, and I do not
request that creating the text buffer is made the default. Yet emacs
has a lot to do with customization and achieving a goal in the most
efficient way.

> BTW, if you only use emacs in a terminal and don't use doc-view at
> all, there's a package named txutils [1] that will fit your needs
> better.

Thanks, I'll look into txutils.

However, I spend about half of my time with emacs in a tty and the
other half of my time it is running under X. Many emacs packages
need to behave differently in these different environments. Yet the
advantage is generally that I can use one package in both
environments, and this one package comes with one set of commands,
keybindings, customizations, etc.

Roland