emacs23 - Unstable XIM Module

From: Wu Kejia
Subject: emacs23 - Unstable XIM Module
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:55:00 -0700

Hi all,

The XIM module in emacs 23 can't work stably yet. Maybe, this annoy
problem have to be left for gnome developer guys. I have no idea.

In my dell laptop + debian etch + zh_CN.UTF-8 box, I can invoke the XIM
input method SCIM. However, in my sun blade 150 + debian etch +
en_US.UTF-8 box, emacs always complains the 'C-.' undefined - 'C-.' is
my keyboard banding for SCIM. And, for the sparcs box, I also tried to
alter LC_ALL to zh_CN.UTF-8, but the problem is still there.

emacs is really a nice word processor occupying many Chinese developers'
desktops. But since the collision between gnome and emacs appeared, many
guys have to either alter to other desktop environments, or totally
abandon emacs because they couldn't use XIM input methods any more. Even
though, you still see there're in mailing lists and forums many fans
trying to find out a way solving that problem. Some guys announce a
successful method to invoke XIM input method, some guys deny the
formers'.

As loyal emacs users, we hope emacs can works fine. Definitely, there
will be several years before emacs 23 release officially, and that must
be a nightmare both for emacs and for XIM input method users if the XIM
module of emacs could not work strong.

Finally, thank you very much for your perfect jobs, emacs developers.