Re: TeX vs LaTeX

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: TeX vs LaTeX
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:34:12 +0200

Hi Peter,

\textem{example}  % `font-latex-sedate-face'
\em{example}      % `font-latex-italic-face' on `font-latex-sedate-face'

>> The only difference is the italic applied on the same face...
>
> Because \textem{} is neither LaTeX nor TeX but something you
> might have invented. I can't find it my LaTeX Companion,
> second edition, from January 2005 ...

Weird. Searching on Google for `textem latex' results in
4,930 results, whose two of them are the following:

    ,----[ Introduction to LaTeX ]

    | LaTeX provides lots of typestyles. Below is a list of some of
    | the styles. To get italics, you can type \textit{italics}:
    |
    |     * \textrm - Roman
    |     * \textit - Italics
    |     * \textem - Emphasis (toggles between \it and \rm)
    |     * \textbf - Boldface
    |     * \textsl - Slanted
    |     * \textsf - Sans serif
    |     * \textsc - Small caps
    |     * \texttt - Typewriter
    `----

or

    ,----[ a short introduction ]

    | Marking up text
    | Emphasis: {\em ...} or \textem{...}
    `----

which clearly shows what I explained: the use of the TeX or of
the LaTeX command.

> The is not much sense in distinguishing between so-called
> "TeX" and so-called "LaTeX." LaTeX understands TeX quite well.

I know, but it would help me learning when I write TeX or when I
write LaTeX. It gives a feeling of what's portable, and what's
not (to or from ConTeXt, for example).

> Do you change your voice or do something else while speaking
> and using a word that has its origin in Latin or one that has
> Celtic or Scandinavian ancestors or one that has been taken
> over from English or German?

No, but sometimes you will say the expression /between quotes/.

And analogies are bad... because you always can show one thing
and its opposite.

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban