gnu emacs memory issue

From: Ernest, Bryan
Subject: gnu emacs memory issue
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:38:32 -0400

Dear Sir or Madam:

I have been using GNU emacs for years, originally on Sun Solaris and now
on Windows.  Emacs is great.  However, recently something happened
basically rendering emacs unusable on my PC.  Emacs continues to
allocate memory, at a pretty fast pace, until my machine is frozen and I
need to force it to power off.  Just starting emacs will cause the
problem.

I have a Windows XP Pro PC with 3 GB of memory.  I was running emacs
21.3 when I first had the problem.  I upgraded to emacs 22.2 in hopes of
a fix, but the problem did not go away.

I don't know what changed to cause the problem.

Any thoughts?  Is there a variable I can set to control the maximum
memory, or something else?

Thank you!

Bryan Ernest
cell phone:  +1 412 445 9663
email: Bryan.Ernest@Respironics.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message, together with any attachments, may be legally privileged
and is confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed.  It is exempt from
disclosure under applicable law including court orders.  If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or copy of this message, or any attachment,
is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error,
please notify the original sender and delete this message, along with
any attachments, from your computer.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE