Re: Emacs vs. TextMate (not trying to start an editor war)

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: Emacs vs. TextMate (not trying to start an editor war)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:05:27 -0400

Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:

> On 2008-07-10 12:47:11 -0700, adamsonj@email.unc.edu (Joel J. Adamson) said:
>
>> Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have been using emacs for the past 5 years or so and I've recently
>>> stumbled upon TextMate. I love the way TextMate handles *web modes*
>>> like integration of html + javascript + css in the same file and
>>> I've always had a problem doing that in emacs.
>>>
>>> I wonder what's the problem, why has an editor like TextMate gone so
>>> far in just a few years and Emacs is still not there yet.
>>
>> Still not where?  Still not the best text editor, no wait, the best
>> piece of software ever created?
>>
>> Oh wait, nevermind...
>>
>> You probably just haven't tried the right add-ons yet, or written them
>> yourself ;)  You have the freedom to do both.
>> Joel
>
> Dude, are you high or sumthin ?

Nope, I just love hearing people criticize Emacs for not being "modern"
or saying what you said.  In my opinion it's the rest of the software
world that is totally backwards.

I've found that whatever feature I want, I just have to look hard enough
and it's already been done.  The amount of Emacs Lisp coding I've done
is therefore pretty small, and quite specialized in use.

Joel
--
Joel J. Adamson
(303) 880-3109