Re: Mode for files visited by GUD

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Mode for files visited by GUD
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:13:34 +1200

 > Is there any mode (and it's hook) run when GUD visits a source code file
 > during debugging?

gdb-find-file-hook is run when GUD visits a source code file.  You could
advise that function or create your own hook using find-file-hook
(see the Elisp manual).

 > I have found a gud-minor-mode variable, but it's not documented. Anyway,
 > quickly peeping into the source, it doesn't seem like that minor mode would
 > serve my purpose.

Not all variables are documented, particularly those for internal use.
gud-minor-mode is probably such a variable.

 > Actually, many functions and variables are not documented. I'm not helping,
 > so I'm not complaining. I'm just curious, because I find it odd for a mature
 > package (GUD has gone along with Emacs since a very long time ago, right?)
 > to have many things left undocumented.

Documentation is provided at the user level in the Emacs and Elisp manuals and
through the documentaion strings.  And there are comments in the source code to
help developers.  It's a question of balancing convenience with overhead.  Also
comment/doc strings can get out of date and sometimes it's better to let the
code speak for itself.

 > BTW, is Emacs' CVS repository, under emacs/lisp/progmodes, the right place to
 > find the latest version?

Yes, but to ensure it always works, you really need to check out all of Emacs
from the repository, and then you can update when fixes are made.