Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 01:21:34 +0200

Ben Aurel <ben.aurel@gmail.com> writes:

> My question is simple: When I list some files in dired mode I select one
> file to edit. Now how can I close this file and go back to dired without
> closing emacs?

Don't think in terms of "file".  When editing a "file", you really edit
a buffer* containing the content of the file.  To "close" the file
generally means to save the buffer and to kill the buffer.

If you just want to "go back" to dired, you just need to switch back to
the buffer containing the directory listing: C-x b RET

If you want to "close the file", then first save the buffer with C-x C-s
then kill the buffer with C-x k RET and you should be back to the buffer
containing the directory listing.

HTH,

* Press `C-x C-e' after the closing parenthesis to jump to the info page
  describing the concept of "buffer" inside GNU Emacs:

  (info "(emacs)Buffers")

--
Bastien