Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Xah
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:56:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 21, 11:59 am, Ben Aurel <ben.au...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
> This is my first post here, so I hope this is the right place for asking
> beginner questions.
>
> My question is simple: When I list some files in dired mode I select one
> file to edit. Now how can I close this file and go back to dired without
> closing emacs?

To close the file, use the menu “File‣Close”. Emacs doesn't have a
keyboard shortcut for this due the fact that emacs has build on the
1980's mindset and havn't modernized. But you can add one by putting
the following in your emacs preference file. (the file at “~/.emacs”):

(global-set-key (kbd "C-w") 'kill-this-buffer) ; close

This will let you press Ctrl+w to close the current file.

To switch to files or directories you have opened before, you can use
the menu “Buffers”. The “buffer” is term used in the 1980s. Today you
just call it “Tabs” or “workspace”.

So, for example, to switch to the previous tab, press Ctrl+x Ctrl+←.
(this is in the graphical menu Buffers too.)

For a tutorial that treats emacs with modern concepts and
terminologies, see:
 http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/