Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Juanma
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 01:07:52 +0200

On Friday 25 July 2008, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
> Juanma wrote:
> > 2) A gut feeling, that if you had used the set-mark method and extend the
> > region with search or browse commands, you wouldn't want to use "the other"
> > method (shift+arrows). But I see it's possible that some people actually
> > prefer that.
>
> My gut feeling tells me you did not look into the possibility that one
> can use both ... ;-)

Actually I did, but the way (the other) Juanma said it¹ made me think he was
simply unaware of transient-mark-mode. I know it would be odd, but there are
many odd things going on in this discussion. And, of course, oddity is
subjective.

¹ "I do use CUA mode, though not for C-x etc. Selection with shift-keys and
visible region are very big pluses against the Emacs defaults, IMHO."

One of the odd things was that about opening a file in Emacs being
difficult. I wonder why is that. Specially now that, in addition to aaaaall
the rest, you can drag'n'drop from a bunch of window managers into Emacs.
--
Juanma

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr