Re: won't load .emacs init file

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: won't load .emacs init file
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:51:36 +0200

paul.mead wrote:
On Aug 1, 9:38 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
paul.mead wrote:
On Jul 31, 11:33 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
paul.d.m...@googlemail.com wrote:
On Jul 31, 3:00 pm, paul.d.m...@googlemail.com wrote:
I'm running emacs under cygwin. For some reason my .emacs file is
being ignored.
The environment variable for HOME is reporting correctly as /home/
paul. That is where I have placed my .emacs file. I have tried running
using --debug-init and it reports no errors.
I have evaluated every line in the file in turn and they all work
fine. It is as if it's running emacs -q, but there are NO aliases set
or scripts which could be running instead.
Close to my wits' end. Can you help?
Thanks
Additional information - running M-x load-file ~/.emacs loads the init
file perfectly, it just doesn't load when I start emacs.
Do you mean that if you start with
   emacs -Q
then the M-x load-file ~/.emacs works?
No, I just srart with
      emacs
but loading the ~/.emacs file manually sets the config up ok.
If you start with

   emacs

instead of

   emacs -Q

then there is the possibility that something in your site-start.el or
default.el changes HOME.

Just tried that option - I get a message "Unknown option `-Q'

That means you are running a quite old version of Emacs. Maybe the best way to proceed would be to upgrade your Emacs (if that is possible)?

Using emacs -q has the usual effect (in my case no different to using
just emacs)

Using getenv, I can see that my HOME environment variable is reporting
corrcetly as /home/paul. I can't find how to get the value of user-
init-file.

I don't know if this is relevant - I tried to run Customize and change
a value in there. When I tried to save changed is gave me an error
message "Saving settings from "emacs -q" would overwrite existing
customizations" - that suggests that I am using emacs -q to start, but
I'm not. There are no aliases set, is there anywhere else that a
configuration file could be hiding?