Re: Can anybody tell me how to send HTML-format mail in gnus

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: Can anybody tell me how to send HTML-format mail in gnus
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:29:11 +0530

Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> Tim X wrote:
> «In general, HTML in mail messages is a bad thing.»
>
> HTML in email is a very good thing.
>
> From the technology point of view, it is far more powerful. For
> example, it can contain links, bold text, coloring, embedded images,
> etc. The bulkier than plain text in size, of course, but in today's
> youtube days, this doesn't matter. Also not, if my 10 years old email
> transmission protocol knowledge is not outdated, then email is still
> sent by first converting to a ascii encoding. This is invented by the
> unix folks, which is extremely inefficient.
>
> From the social point of view, HTMl is also far more useful, and
> people wants the ability to have colored text, embed images, etc. I
> don't have stats on this, but it is my guess that 80%, or perhaps even
> 90% of email traffics today, are in html. Human animals, collectively,
> want it.

[...]
It might be old fashioned but I'd prefer the lowest common denominator
in getting my point across varying vintage MUAs in use.  And as someone
mentioned earlier, spam is pretty much HTML and I risk getting my mail
binned by someone elses' spam filter.

And if lighting up the email to get my attention is the reason for
going in for HTML, then someone's trying too hard.

I've received humongous HTML mails that just had one line of text in
it.  The rest were all pictures, templates and other doodads.  Most of
Microsoft email clients seem to be ones doing it; though there are
ways to turn it off in them, few seem to do it.

 sivaram