Re: GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-08-06 on LENNART

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-08-06 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched): error "Required feature `diary-loaddefs' was not provided"
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:48:55 +0200

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
Thanks Rainer,

That is probably something left over from an older installation of
Emacs. Could you perhaps try to delete or rename the c:/Emacs23/
directory and install Emacs again?

Yep.

You should take care of this, but I don't think it's related to your
original problem.
It is a bit related to the installer for Emacs+EmacsW32 that I
distribute. I have written it so that it does not delete the old Emacs
tree, but I think that is a mistake.

I think I will let it delete the emacs directory before installation. It
should be (rather) safe since a user should not put files there.

Any thoughts on this?

Hi Lennard,

First of all, a big thank you for making Windows builds of Emacs.  I
always download your builds and install them when I am forced to work on
Windows, because I can't stand most of the other Windows editors :-)

Thanks.

I don't really know much about the internals of the Windows installers
of the packaging system of Windows, but let me describe an idea that may
be useful.

You could modify the installer to

  (1) perform pre-installation checks.  When it finds an existing
      installation it can prompt the user that "An existing Emacs
      installation has been found.  Please uninstall it first, and rerun
      this installer."

  (2) Only remove the files that the installer itself added to the
      system (i.e. by using some sort of "packaging list").

Thanks for the suggestions. I think they are reasonable and good. However the installer that I am using (Inno Setup, it is very good) does not have this possibility during reinstallation. You have to uninstall before installing to get this effect.

I have decided to leave it as it is at the moment, but I will try to find a place to add a noticeable remark on the problem. Maybe I will add it to the information you see during installation (though I guess you normally never read that info ...).