Re: Emacs usability (was: Can anybody tell me how to send HTML-format ma

From: Xah
Subject: Re: Emacs usability (was: Can anybody tell me how to send HTML-format mail in gnus)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:55:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 12, 12:37 am, Xah <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For example, renowned computer scientist Edsger has this to say:
>
> ... what society overwhelmingly asks for is snake oil. Of course, the
> snake oil has the most impressive names —otherwise you would be
> selling nothing— like “Structured Analysis and Design”, “Software
> Engineering”, “Maturity Models”, “Management Information Systems”,
> “Integrated Project Support Environments” “Object Orientation” and
> “Business Process Re-engineering” (the latter three being known as
> IPSE, OO and BPR, respectively).” — Edsger W Dijkstra↗ (1930-2002), in
> EWD 1175: The strengths of the academic enterprise↗.

Actually, the quote i meant to quote is this one:

“The required techniques of effective reasoning are pretty formal, but
as long as programming is done by people that don't master them, the
software crisis will remain with us and will be considered an
incurable disease. And you know what incurable diseases do: they
invite the quacks and charlatans in, who in this case take the form of
Software Engineering gurus.” —attributed to Edsger Dijkstra 1930-2002.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/