Re: Fortran (95/03) syntax highlighting

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Fortran (95/03) syntax highlighting
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:46:51 -0700

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:

> "Izaak Beekman" <ibeekman@princeton.edu> wrote:
>
>> 2) No support for Fortran 03 syntax
>
> It's currently not supported by Emacs.  You could look for an
> external package, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The development version of Emacs (to be released as 23.1 hopefully on
the order of six months) has supported F03 for the best part of a year.
I encourage people to try it out and report any problems or missing
features.

>> 1) Incorrect syntax highlighting in variable declarations with line
>> continuations.
>
> If that's legal F95 syntax, I'd report it as a bug.  (M-x report-emacs-bug)

Indeed.

>> 3) .f95 and .f03 file-name-suffixes are not recognized.

.f95 was in Emacs 22.1 (added to CVS over six years ago), released over
a year ago. There is no reason to use anything other than 22.2 nowadays
(22.3 coming soonish).

I have not added .f03 because it is my understanding that the adoption
of .f95 as an extension was basically a mistake, and that we were never
intended to change the name of our files every few years. Can't remember
where I got this idea from, pointers to corrections saying that .f03 is
a recommended extension are welcome.