Re: Start the emacs-server once...

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: Start the emacs-server once...
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 01:26:42 +0100

Alex Bennee <ajb-ml@cbnl.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to set-up emacs to start the server once per X sessions (and I
> guess once per screen session once I get multi-tty working). However
> there doesn't seem to be way to check in emacs if the server is
> currently running.
>
> So far the best I can come up with is having my start-up emacs with the
> args:
>
> emacs --eval (defvar this-is-the-master t)
>
> And appropriate hackery in the .emacs. Is there a nicer way to deal with
> this?

You might be interested in the page on the emacswiki about this [1]. My
config is detailed on there (along with lots of other peoples'
solutions!).

The one thing that I use that I really like is a function called
delete-frame-ex, which is hopefully below

I bind this to C-x C-c, which means that you can call the "magic emacs"
command on a load of files, edit them in different frames and when you
hit C-x C-c, you don't kill something you were working on in a different
desktop. For me, this is at least as important as spawning the frames in
the first place!

Rupert

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnuClient