sending mail is very slow

From: tyler
Subject: sending mail is very slow
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:57:17 -0300

Hi,

I use VM for email, and it's *very* slow to send emails when I'm
connected to my university network. It's noticeably slow at home
sometimes too, but not so bad. For example, after I compose a message
and send it with C-c C-c I'll see the message in the mini-buffer
indicating that the message has been copied to my sent folder, but the
actual message remains on the screen for 10 seconds or more, and during
this time I cannot interact with Emacs.

This same behaviour occurs when I send a message using the regular emacs
M-x mail command, so I don't think it's VM specific. Is there something
I can tweak in my configuration to correct this? Any other tips? I don't
notice this problem in Gnus, but opening Gnus itself takes a very long
time when I'm using the University network as well.

I thought the size of my sent mail file might be the problem, but
cutting it down from 2.9M to 210K didn't help at all.

Emacs 23.0.60.1, built from source on Debian Lenny/Testing

Thanks,

Tyler

--
Support standardized open formats and control your own data -
        Reject Microsoft OOXML

http://noooxml.org