Re: desktop-read issue on XP - emacs 23.2 or 3

From: AlFire
Subject: Re: desktop-read issue on XP - emacs 23.2 or 3
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:47:36 -0700

martin rudalics wrote:
 > With .emacs narrowed down to following:
 > (custom-set-variables
 >  '(desktop-save-mode t))
 > (desktop-load-default)
 > (desktop-read)
 >

> I noted a very weird question upon start up (only Windows, Linux is fine):
 >

 > "Warning: desktop file appears to be in use by PID %s.
 >

> The PID indicates the emacs itself I am trying to bring up. Any idea what is wrong? It is really annoying.

I don't use desktop so I can only speculate.  IIUC,
`desktop-load-default' is obsolete since Emacs 22.1.  What happens if
you omit it?

I did not help - I replaced all existing solution by singe
(desktop-save-mode 1)

so simply typing "y" should load it.  But maybe Emacs could check
whether it is the owner of that PID.  Are you sure there's no other
Emacs process around?

yes, it was first thing I checked :-)