Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: xraysmalevich
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:08:47 -0700 (PDT)

Emacs provides a user level function to create a new buffer. C-x b,
and enter a name of a non-existing buffer. Not once is there a prompt
for a file-name. I find this useful as I create tens of buffers a day,
holding chunks of files I'm twiddling with, notes from phone calls,
lists of file names, etc. I don't want to save them to disk, but I
sure as heck need to give that buffer a name so I can find it back
amongst all the other things I have. And if I close it without saving,
Emacs prompts me gently -- it doesn't demand a filename, it asks if I
want to save it. And only then, if I say yes, does it prompt for a
filename. How polite.

I grew up with a "scratch-pad" next to the telephone (yeah, kids, it
had a dial), and sometimes we'd get home-made scratch-pads for
Christmas. What fun!