Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no

From: rustom
Subject: Re: have installed cygwin, & "its" emacs. dired shows only subtree, no "up"
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:06:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 21, 9:30 am, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
> In article
> <9c7ab644-18fe-478f-9516-6b8f051ae...@p31g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>
> rustom  <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> It gets a drive letter, at least on my pc.
>
> >Native emacs (for windows) is better than cygwin emacs
>
> Well, OK.
>
> Please, though, (so I can convince her to download yet
> another humongous emacs ("ntemacs" is what you mean?)
> onto her computer), please give a few reasons for
> saying that.
>
> THANKS!
>
> David

Yeah well then I take it back :-)

I myself have used unices for some 25 years and of late have been
suffering the windows world.
No not getting into OS-politics --just that I find I dont know how to
use windows in a reasonable way and the common claim that cygwin makes
windows into unix is far from true (for me).

So even though emacs on windows is not quite as native on windows as
on a unix (egs slash vs backslash, cannot read lnk files etc etc), it
at least understands it without the poor intermediation of cygwin.

So all you want to do is transfer firefox files to external hardware
going the way of cygwin-mount.el and all such arcana (which Ive never
got to work) is a sledgehammer for a nut.
Native emacs was my suggestion assuming that you had other (more emacs-
y) uses for emacs
But the most natural and simple way for moving files around on windows
is windows-explorer not dired!