Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: 21 Sep 2008 19:01:40 GMT

Christian Herenz wrote:
> Xah schrieb:
>
>> I think the existance of the lisp scratch buffer is one of the major
>> usability problem of emacs that prevents emacs from being widely
>> adopted by most text editing audience.

personally, i find it unlikely that the *scratch* buffer has ever kept
anyone from adopting emacs. i also find it extremely unlikely that anyone
will be convinced to start using emacs when the *scratch* buffer is
ditched.

personally, i see emacs as a sophisticated tool for professionals. just as
i wouldn't buy a €10.000 SLR camera for the occasional holiday snapshot
i take, other people don't depend on an editor that much to (want to)
invest time in learning emacs.

> Hah... Having not read the whole conversation of this topic, I want to add an
> experience I made last week. I was in the lab, and saw that a guy on the
> other
> site worked inside an xemacs session. I asked him, why he puts everything in
> the
> *scratch* buffer - and he looked at me and asked "buffer - scratch - sure you
> are allright". I think that lots of emacs users today just use emacs as it
> where
> notepad.exe or something like that, especially in scientifc environments some
> people could boost their productivity, if they would at least know some of
> the
> basics of the editor in the beginning of their career. When I told the guy:
> "Do
> you know, that you can open more than one file at a time in emacs?" He asked
> me:
> "Why the hell should I want to do that - I just open another emacs...".

man... such people should simply be banned from using emacs ever again. ;-)

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)