Emacs Shell Ansi Colors

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: Emacs Shell Ansi Colors
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:27:53 +0200

Dear All,
I often use M-x shell to open a shell within Emacs. Since I miss the colorized output, I tried to enable ansi-colors in my Emacs shell. After googling, I found suggestions along the lines of the link pasted below

http://www.grokblok.com/articles/2007/12/13/emacs-shell-ansi-colors/

The problem is that I added those few lines to my .emacs file, but nothing changed.
I had a look also at:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ansi-color.el
but I did not copy the ansi-color.el file anywhere in my system (in case it matters, I am running emacs22 on a Debian testing box).
I notice that issuing the command (within emacs shell):
ls --color=yes
give the nice colorized output I am looking for, hence I do not think there is any substantial problem by default, just it seems that my output is not colorized by default (though when I type M-x shell I read the message
Can anyone help me out with this?
Many thanks

Lorenzo