Emacs backspace and delete.

From: DaLoverhino
Subject: Emacs backspace and delete.
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:18:58 -0700 (PDT)

If I type

unix> emacs

An emacs window pops up.  I'm on version 22, on windows running
exceed.  The backspace key works as I would expect.

But when I type:

unix> emacs -nw

emacs fires up in an exceed xterm, however the backspace key no longer
works as it did.  The delete key does it's job.  Since my backspace
key is a much bigger key, I'd like to be able to have it work.  Does
anyone know how to do so?

Also, I noticed on my machine, emacs is slow when processing x-
events.  It seems like when I click the mouse inside the emacs window,
emacs wants to refresh the gui menu on top.  Is there anyway to fire
up emacs (NOT using -nw option), but tell emacs don't give me a gui
menu bar, give me none or a text one.  I do most of my comands as key
strokes anyways.

thanks.