Re: Emacs, oldsters, newbiness

From: tyler
Subject: Re: Emacs, oldsters, newbiness
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 09:23:47 -0400

Paul R <paul.r.ml@gmail.com> writes:

> tyler> This being the case, what's to stop anyone from lifting content
> tyler> for inclusion in other documents with compatible licenses?
>
> As far as emacs code is concerned, the FSF wants the code to be under
> a free licence, but it also wants to hold the copyright. Why ? Because
> the FSF makes new licences on a constant basis, ans only the copyright
> owner is allowed to change the licence.

Given that the Emacs Wiki expressly allows that the recipient

  "may choose to receive this work under any other license that grants
  the right to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute the work, as long as
  that license imposes the restriction that derivative works have to
  grant the same rights and impose the same restriction"

The FSF would have to come up with a new license that is a drastic
departure from conventional copyleft to violate this condition. Still,
I'm beyond the limit of my legal understanding, so that's probably a
good time to stop.

Cheers,

Tyler

                                       --Wernher von Braun