Re: Weird tramp scp permissions issue with

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: Weird tramp scp permissions issue with
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:07:44 -0800

On Nov 16, 2008, at 10:59 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:

Ian Eure <ian@digg.com> writes:

Any file I create on a remote host using tramp's scp method gets a
mode of 0600, rather than the 0644 I would like. If I use the (slower)
ssh method, the file gets the correct mode.

What seems to be happening is that the local file gets created with
0600, which is preserved when it's SCP'd over. Indeed, 'tramp-methods
shows that the `-p' argument is passed to scp, which does exactly
this.

My umask is 0022 on both ends, which is correct. So tramp seems to be
creating the file with 0600 before it copies it.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Which Tramp version do you use? With Tramp 2.1.15-pre, which I have
running, I see 0644 permissions for a new file with both ssh and scp
methods.

I'm using whatever comes with Emacs 22.

I installed 2.1.14, and the problem went away. But it also broke vc- dired, and maybe other vc stuff:

byte-code: Recursive `require' for feature `tramp-compat'

The vc-mode stuff from Emacs 23 CVS doesn't work for me, either.

 - Ian