Re: Emacs standards with regions

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Emacs standards with regions
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 02:16:29 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 24, 7:40 pm, Jason Rumney <jasonrum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 25, 2:15 am, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > i looked up on when is transient-mark-mode added to emacs.
>
> > the earliest mention of transient-mark-mode in emacs's NEWS file is in
> > NEWS.19, and according to Wikipedia, emacs 19 is released in Sep 1997.
>
> Wikipedia is wrong. Emacs 19.7 was released on 1993-05-22 according to
> ChangeLog (19.6 appears in lisp/ChangeLog as an alpha release).  lisp/
> ChangeLog lists the following change:
>
> 1993-05-15  Richard Stallman  (r...@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu)
>
>         * simple.el (transient-mark-mode): New command.

Thanks.

Btw, it's my citation of Wikipedia that's wrong. Wikipedia gave the
release date for 19.28, but i wasn't paying attention and simplified
it to 19.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

19.28   September 15, 1997
Support for multiple frames using the X Windowing System
New interface for version control systems, called VC
New hexl mode, which is a hexadecimal editing mode

btw, is there a public place to read all the release dates?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/