Re: (Un?)Customizing Cursor?

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: (Un?)Customizing Cursor?
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:33:22 -0500

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 9:22 AM, harven <harven@free.fr> wrote:

> If you are launching emacs in a Terminal.app, that's the terminal
> that takes care of the cursor. And it seems pretty limited, from
> what I can see. On your windows box, emacs probably starts in its
> own window, hence there are more options available.

Sorry, I know where the misunderstanding came in.  I was trying to say
that I originally learned Emacs at the console.  I don't use it there
anymore.  However, whether on the console or off, the default cursor
has always been solid while off text, box with reverse video while
over.

> You may want to install some windowed version of emacs on your mac, either
> CarbonEmacs, Emacs.app or Aquamacs. It takes only a few minutes
> and you will recover a nice cursor, among over things.
> See the wiki for a discussion of the different flavors of emacs under
> macosx    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForMacOS
>
> Another workaround is to use another terminal than Apple Terminal.app.
> If Apple X11 is installed, you can just use a basic xterm and the cursor
> behaves as expected.

I'm running Emacs.app (GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.5.0,
*Step 9.0rc3)) at home on my Mac and the default windows binary
download at work (I believe that's 22).

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.