cvs emacs scales fonts to awfully big?

From: Peter Tury
Subject: cvs emacs scales fonts to awfully big?
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:18:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I built cvs emacs on ubuntu 8.10. Now I have

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4)
 of 2008-12-27 on tury-8-usb
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.10502000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: hu_HU.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

The problem is that Emacs uses too big fonts by default. More exactly
I think it scales somehow the fonts, though it shouldn't. Menus are
OK, but buffer text and tooltips and mode line come with huge fonts.

I uploaded an image about the problem: here you can see that menus are
OK, but everything else is awfully huge. A Gedit and a terminal window
is captured also to show the differences better:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2383/emacsfontscale2bd9.jpg

I think maybe the "22" in "Font: #<font-object -unknown-DejaVu Sans
Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-22-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1>" is the key (see
the image above); but where does it come from? I neither have .emacs
nor .Xdefaults when I reproduced the error for the image.

I have this problem with older cvs versions as well (at least for a
few months).

Did I do something wrong at compilation of Emacs? Does something
missing from my Ubuntu? What to check?

Maybe I have the same problem as frecon here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-803119.html?

(I can use Emacs with setting 8pt font size in .Xdefaults or using
text-scale-adjust, but I want Emacs behave correctly by default.)

Thanks,