Re: Can't set font & frame properly in .emacs

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Re: Can't set font & frame properly in .emacs
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 15:06:55 -0500

Some further data:

Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> writes:

> I run Emacs under (sigh) Windows XP.  Before I upgraded to Emacs
> 22.3.1, the following near the beginning of my .emacs file always had
> the right effect:

> ;;;;INITIAL SETUP
>
> (setq inhibit-default-init t)
>
> (defun minimize-frame ()
>   (interactive)
> (w32-send-sys-command #xf020))
>
> (defun maximize-frame ()
>   (interactive)
> (w32-send-sys-command #xf030))
>
> (defun restore-frame ()
>   (interactive)
> (w32-send-sys-command #xf120))
>
> (defun screen-saver ()
>   (interactive)
> (w32-send-sys-command #xf140))
>
> ;; start Emacs maximized
> (maximize-frame)
>
> ;; Font
> ;; For a list of available Fonts, eval
> ;; (insert (prin1-to-string (x-list-fonts "*")))
> (set-default-font "-outline-Courier
> New-normal-r-normal-normal-*-*-96-96-c-*-iso8859-13")
>
> ;; Set rows and columns correctly
> (set-frame-width (selected-frame) 155)
> ;; This is where height on screen is finally set:
> (set-frame-height (selected-frame) 63) ;changed from 62 07oc08
>
> Now, however, the startup seems to skip it.  The defuns are not
> evaluated (tho I can eval them by hand & they work).

This, for some reason, is no longer true.  They are in fact
evaluated.

> The frame does not come up maximized,

Nor does it come up in the default size that "restore" restores to,
but in a squarish shape, from which it is impossible to maximize it
either with the mouse (no button) or with maximize-frame (name
recognized & completed under M-x, but has no effect).  Using
restore-frame makes it smaller, and from that state it is possible to
maximize it.

Sporadically, tho, restore-frame gives a very tall rectangle, spilling
off the bottom of the screen so that the minibuffer is invisible.  I
have not been able to reproduce this.

Also, if I minimize the frame, and bring it back with the mouse, it
comes up maximized.

--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  In damp heat, learn from the Pygmies.  In dry heat, learn  :||
||:  from the Arabs.                                            :||